What would you do with a pile of scrap metal? Weigh it in? Drop it off at a recycling center? How about grabbing a welding torch and turning into a piece of fine art?
That's exactly what these seven great artists decided to do. The products of their labor are, as you are about to find out, truly stunning.
What types of metal are metal sculptures made of?
Metal sculptures can be made from a wide variety of metals. But the most commonly used metal tends to be bronze (an alloy of copper and tin).
That being said, sculptures can be made from gold, silver, aluminum, copper, brass, lead, and iron. But, as you are about to discover, scrap metal is also another popular material to use for sculptures.
What is the most famous sculpture in the world?
There are many famous sculptures around the world from throughout the ages. You can probably think of a few off the top of your head, but some of the most notable examples include, but are not limited to:
- The ecstasy of Saint Teresa (1652) – Gian Lorenzo Bernini
- Pieta (1499) – Michelangelo
- David (1440s) – Donatello
- The Great Sphinx of Giza
- Christ the Redeemer (1931) – Paul Landowski
- Manneken Pis (1619) – Hieronymus Duquesnoy the Elder
- The Thinker (1904) – Auguste Rodin
- Venus de Milo – Alexandros of Antioch.