25 innovative examples of face masks and face shields
- The COVID-19 pandemic was a testing time for all of us.
- One of the standout issues of the time was the need, well-mandated requirement to wear facemasks.
- Yet despite this, many innovative ways were found to reinvent the facemask.
As the world navigates the "new normal," face masks, have become integral to our daily lives. No longer just a piece of personal protective equipment, they have evolved into a unique canvas for self-expression and creativity. Here we will unveil some of the most exciting and ingenious face mask designs that protect you and make a stylish statement.
From innovative materials to eye-catching patterns, these masks prove that staying safe doesn't have to be boring. So, get ready to be inspired and transform your face mask game!
What are some great examples of face masks and face shields?
Here are some great examples of face masks and face shields worldwide. This list is far from exhaustive and is in no particular order.
1. These facemasks display customized animated LED messages
These cool face masks have been specially designed to display customized, animated messages. They do this by using integrated LED technology.
2. A clever little boy scout has invented "Ear Guards" for medical face masks
A boy scout has devised a 3D printable face mask accessory to help medical staff wear them for hours. He is called "Ear Guards," his invention is open-source and can be licensed for anyone with a 3D printer.
3. A kitchen utensil company has started to churn out silicon reusable face masks to help meet demand
A kitchen utensil company called Get it Right (GIR) has switched part of its production to creating reusable silicon face masks. This initiative is fantastic, given the enormous demand and short supply of proper face masks for medical staff.
4. These amazing face masks are very sophisticated
Called the Guardian G-VOLT, these face masks are something very different indeed. Made by LIGC Applications, they use graphene filters with integrated electrical charge technology to repel viruses and bacteria.
5. These face masks have been developed to help the hearing impaired
As face masks tend to be opaque and hide the wearer's mouth and nose, it is often impossible for the hearing impaired to lip read. For this reason, one company has begun to produce face masks with transparent plastic openings.
6. This 3D-printed adaptor turns snorkeling masks into ventilators
This amazing invention allows people to convert their regular snorkeling face masks into ventilators. The best part is that it is open source, so that anyone can print them with a printer.
7. These face masks can be washed and reused up to 50 times
Developed by Mitsufuji, these amazing face masks can be washed and reused up to 50 times. Called the "Hamon AG mask," this will help fight the current face mask supply drought.
8. One of the inventors of the N95 mask believes they can also be reused
One of the N95 face mask inventors, Peter Tsai, believes there is a way to reuse those too. He is currently developing a heating technique that should kill the virus without damaging the integrity of the mask.
9. This initiative is helping people create custom-designed 3D printable masks
An initiative called "My Mask Movement" is working together to create a way for people to 3D print masks customized to their faces. Long the dream of PPE creators, this could help prevent a lack of face masks in the future.
10. This biomedical engineer has created a face mask that could neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in 5 minutes
A biomedical engineer at the University of Alberta, Canada, has created a new face mask with a unique salt coating. This coating, he says, can neutralize viruses, like SAR-CoV-2, in less than five minutes.
11. Toronto-based designers have launched their custom-fit, 3D printable face masks
A Toronto-based group of designers has created their range of custom-fit, 3D printable face masks. Called LuxMea studio, the team has been working on their design for several years before the current pandemic.
12. An Italian architect has recently released their concept for a reusable face shield
Italian Architect Massimo Iosa Ghini recently released their reusable face shield concept.
13. This face shield can be created from plastic using the power of origami
Researchers from the University of Cambridge and the University of Queensland have collaborated to create a unique origami design for a face shield. Called the "HappyShield" it can be folded out of a single plastic sheet in no time.
14. These face masks use activated carbon to help protect you
Sugar Lash Pro, has developed a range of face masks that use activated carbon filters. Made of cotton, these masks are also designed to provide a perfect face fit.
15. These face masks are also reusable
These face masks are also specifically designed to be reusable.
16. These face masks are designed to look like you aren't wearing one
These NIOSH N95 face masks have been specifically designed so it looks like you aren't wearing one. Each one features a printed image of your mouth and nose.
17. Add a little bling to your face masks with these disco-ball versions
These disco-ball face masks add a little glamor to your face mask-wearing outfit.
18. These face masks are "Tiger King" themed
One company has begun producing "Tiger King" themed face masks. We are not entirely sure what to think about these.
19. Fancy a bit of old school?
Given the current plague-like aspects of the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak, perhaps it is time to make the old "Plague Doctor" masks a thing again. However, we must stress that they are probably not very effective.
20. Here are some more cool 3D printable face masks and shields
This chap's wife's employer, ProtoSpace, has designed their range of 3D printable face masks and face shields.
21. How about a "Plague Doctor" face mask that works?
Further to example 19. above, why not get one that actually works?
22. These face masks have integrated Bluetooth and speakers!
These cool face masks have integrated Bluetooth tech and speakers! Now you can listen to your favorite tunes while protecting your respiratory system simultaneously.
23. Some Georgia Tech students have designed and created thousands of 3D-printed face shields
Georgia Tech students designed and 3D printed these handy face shields.
24. These face shields look pretty stylish
Alien face-hugger face mask? Yes please. pic.twitter.com/kblKTKOYuW— Winter is Coming (@WiCnet) August 4, 2020
And finally, this Alien Facehugger-themed face mask will certainly make others keep their distance. While its utility as an actual piece of PPE is probably questionable, it will help with social distancing.
Unfortunately, this face mask is unique; you can't buy one for yourself.
And that is your lot for today.
These are a few novel ways people have taken to creating new types of face masks worldwide. So, remember that protecting yourself and others don't have to be dull – with creativity, you can turn any face mask into a fashionable and functional accessory. Stay safe, stay stylish, and keep on inspiring!