Elon Musk Clarifies 'There Were No Tears' During His Recent Interview
Elon Musk appears to be trying to redeem his public image, going on Twitter to clarify his demeanor during a recent New York Times article. The interview which was published shortly after Musk’s now famous tweets about taking Tesla public claimed the CEO “alternated between laughter and tears” and that Musk “choked up multiple times” while talking about the difficulties he was facing.
Musk tweeted in response to an article published on Forbes by Amy Wilson, titled 'A Female Founder's Take on Elon Musk’s Tears’ saying "For the record, my voice cracked once during the NY Times article. That’s it. There were no tears."
For the record, my voice cracked once during the NY Times article. That’s it. There were no tears.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 28, 2018
Tesla shares fell after the publication of the article which painted the picture that Musk was on the verge of a breakdown and was reliant on sleeping pills to get any rest.
Musk reigns in Twitter use
Musk has undoubtedly had a stressful year, though it could be argued much of his heartache is self-inflicted and brought on by poor self-control on social media. Back in July, Musk called one of the divers for the Thai Football rescue team a ‘pedo’ on Twitter, resulting in a possible lawsuit.
His latest bold tweets were about taking Tesla private. A move that has resulted in a serious investigation by the Securities Exchange Commission.
Your perspective on whether Musk can handle the stress of leading both Tesla and SpaceX is dependent on how much of a fan of the companies you are. Supporters of Musk point to an interview with YouTube tech star Marques Brownlee conducted around the same time as the New York Times article that shows Musk in his normal nerdy self, albeit pretty exhausted.
Privatization offer off the table
While both companies continue to forge ahead in their respective fields, the board of Tesla has asked and received a promise from Musk that he calm down on social media and focus his energy where it is needed most.
Since the fateful privatization tweet, Musk has certainly reigned in his Twitter use, using it to retweet news and responding politely and cheerfully to fans.
The privatization offer is now off the table. Musk explained how he walked away from the possible $30 billion deal and told he was worried Tesla competitors could take a stake in the company as well as letting down retail investors that have been with Musk since the beginning.
Musk reportedly received an email earlier this month of an elderly couple in Tesla t-shirts holding a hand-written sign congratulating Musk on reaching the 7000 production target. The message simply read “Thanks, Elon! Two happy stockholders!” Musk allegedly told a close friend that the picture ‘made his day’. Musk hired several high profile investors and bankers to advise him on the possible deal which eventuated in him speaking at the Tesla board meeting saying, "Based on the latest information I have, I’m withdrawing the proposal”. Musk detailed his decision in a blog post on the Tesla website.