The Best Mechanical Engineering Schools Worldwide
Mechanical engineering has been making headlines with new inventions around the world for centuries, as can be found all throughout history. There’s the steam engine, the chariot, medieval clocks, and space flight equipment.
There are lots of options when it comes to studying at the best mechanical engineering schools around the world. Some of these universities have helped shaped the world.
Students going to college can choose based on where they are and where they want to be. Most of these courses take four to five years to complete, but in some countries, they may take five to six years.
Here’s a list of top 12 of the best mechanical engineering schools worldwide (not in order).
- Nanyang Technological University – based in Singapore. The university believes that the best mechanical engineering degree is one that creates wealth in the world. It starts with the gadgets or devices people use every day – phones, cars, etc.
- ETH Zurich – based in Switzerland. The university believes that providing education in different types of disciplines will help people cope with the challenges in the world. For example, a mechanical engineer can create medical devices that will help the field of medicine to be more effective and efficient in providing quality healthcare.
- Seoul National University – based in South Korea. The best mechanical engineering degree is offered in this country's university. They believe that this engineering field helps build the future of the country and the world.
- Peking University – based in China. The university offers scholarship programs for mechanics. They believe this field is a priority. One way to save money for students wanting quality education without paying expensive tuition fees is to enter mechanics, before studying engineering.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – based in the USA. The institute has always been a leader in the field of science, technology, and engineering. They aim to train the next generations of engineers who will develop new technologies, start new businesses, and provide the needed solutions that the world can benefit from.
- California Institute of Technology – based in the USA. Almost all aspects of daily life rely on the work of mechanical engineers! Caltech attracts brilliant candidates to its quality educational programs in Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering.
- Harvard University – based in the USA. Harvard is a highly competitive university that offers one of the best mechanical engineering degrees in the world.
- Politecnico di Milano – based in Italy. Candidates wanting to study in Italy will love the Politecnico di Milano university. Here, the student will be part of its mission to promote innovation, value research, and develop an innovative culture among others.
- Delft University of Technology – based in the Netherlands. It is important for international students to learn to speak Dutch before enrolling at this university. Check out their website for more details on their admission requirements.
- The University of Tokyo – based in Japan. The university’s department of mechanical engineering has produced high-quality researchers and engineers. Candidates who want to study in Tokyo can benefit from activities and lectures that cover the basics to advanced levels of knowledge. Also another opportunity to study a new language.
- Imperial College of London – based in the United Kingdom. The college offers undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Those who want to complete their Ph.D. levels at the university will have opportunities to work there, too.
- University of Cambridge – based in the United Kingdom. The students at the university’s mechanical engineering field will take part in learning about the fundamentals of materials and engineering designs. They will learn biomechanics and more.
How are engineering schools ranked?
School rankings may vary from one organization or research group to another. The end result will determine which schools rank higher and which ones rank lower. But these rankings do not always mean low-ranked schools are poor. The competition is tough between these schools, so don't disqualify an engineering school just because you find them at the bottom on a list.
The U.S. News website ranks universities in the following terms:
- Quality Assessment – This includes Peer assessment and the Recruiter assessment. The peer assessment basically asks individuals who know about the school to rate the offered programs from 1-5 (1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest). The recruiter assessment, on the other hand, asks human resources managers and employers to assess or rate their employees who have graduated from the university under assessment.
- Student Selectivity – in the student selectivity section, the mean GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) quantitative score and acceptance rate are assessed.
- Faculty Resources – they also look at the student-faculty ratios, the percentage of faculty in the National Academy of Engineering, and the doctoral degrees awarded under this category.
- Research Activity – part of the assessment to determine the rank of a school is the total research expenditures and the average research expenditures per faculty member.
Again, these measures or criteria may differ from other surveys or other research bodies.
10 great mechanical engineering schools
Aside from the above universities offering the best mechanical engineering degree around the world, these 10 engineering schools also offer excellent mechanical engineering programs.
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Stanford University, United States
- Princeton University, United States
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Tsinghua University, China
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
- Technical University of Munich, Germany
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea
- KU Leuven, Belgium
Job duties of a mechanical engineer
Those who are serious about starting a career in one of the best mechanical engineering schools should understand their duties and responsibilities once they are in the field of work. First and foremost, a mechanical engineer has to have analytical skills because he/she will be troubleshooting a lot of problems and evaluate a lot of data, as well as test results.
Secondly, a mechanical engineer should enhance his/her creative design knowledge and digital software design skill. It will be needed much in building new devices and upgrading or updating old ones.
Some mechanical engineers will be in charge of overseeing the manufacturing process, so communication, management, and organizational skills are also important. Other jobs similar to this are petroleum engineering, materials engineering, and architectural management.
Dr. Stiavelli relates his efforts to meet the challenges of the sunshield, and the comparison of the cameras from the Hubble Space Telescope to the James Webb Space Telescope.