The USS Bonhomme Richard Ship Fire May Have Been Arson
Last July, we brought you images from the USS Bonhomme Richard ship fire that shocked the world as the amphibious ship suffered extensive damage. Now, a sailor is under investigation for the fire meaning the event was likely due to arson, reports ABC 10News.
RELATED: MOST STRIKING IMAGES OF THE USS BONHOMME RICHARD FIRE
Sources with close ties to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) told ABC 10News that a sailor was under investigation for the fire and that warrants had been issued for his home and property. They did not release the individual's name and rank.
However, a Navy spokesperson on Wednesday refused to confirm what sources told ABC 10News. He did state that “the investigations are ongoing and there is nothing new to announce on their current status or findings.”
The fire first began on the morning of July 12 in a storage area aboard the ship. Pretty soon it had started to spread and was very difficult to contain.
As of 3:30 p.m. Pacific time July 13, firefighting teams continue operations on board @LHD6BHR. 59 personnel, 36 @USNavy Sailors and 23 civilians, have been treated for minor injuries including heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation. Currently, there are no personnel hospitalized. pic.twitter.com/P8SLgEJEyQ— Naval Surface Forces (@SurfaceWarriors) July 13, 2020
The event saw federal and Navy firefighters come together to attempt to subdue the fire that raged on for days. It took four days for the crews to tame all fires on the ship and many of them sustained injuries.
Luckily none of the injuries were fatal. At the moment, it still remains unclear whether the USS Bonhomme Richard will ever sail again. The ship has been severely damaged and may be beyond repair.
The even did however showcase the Navy's and firefighters' dedication to saving the ship with commanders releasing statements saying they would fight for as long as it took to subdue the fires.
"We've been at it for over 24 hours now and we're going to get it until it's done," had said Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group Three, at a press conference. They indeed did get it done!
A panel of experts at CES 2023, the world's most influential tech event, discusses the potential of technology to improve health care in America.