These 7 Videos Prove How Powerful Nature Is
For all the technological prowess of our species, we cannot come close to mustering a strength equal to the power of nature. From natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, and hurricanes to the impact of the odd meteorite, the power of nature is palpable.
Here, we compiled a list of interesting videos that showcase the power of nature at its best (and worst). Enjoy!
What are the 4 known forces of nature?
Everything that happens in the universe is dictated by four fundamental forces. These four fundamental forces of nature are as follows:
- Gravity - While perhaps not technically a force in and of itself, the thing we experience as gravity literally holds our planet, stars, solar systems, and even galaxies together.
- The weak force - Also called the weak nuclear interaction, this force is responsible for particle decay. "The weak force is critical for the nuclear fusion reactions that power the sun and produce the energy needed for most life forms here on Earth. It's also why archaeologists can use carbon-14 to date ancient bone, wood, and other formerly living artifacts." - Space.com.
- Electromagnetism - Also called the electromagnetic force or Lorentz force, this force is experienced between two charged particles. Like gravity, this force can actually be felt to a certain degree over great distances. This is the force most commonly experienced through things like friction, elasticity, and of course magnets.
- The strong force - Also called the strong nuclear interaction, this is the strongest of all fundamental forces of nature. In fact, it is somewhere in the region of 6 thousand trillion trillion trillion times more powerful than gravity! This is the force that binds all fundamental particles of matter together.
Which is the strongest force in nature?
As we have already detailed above, the strongest force in nature is the strong nuclear force. It is this force that keeps atomic nuclei and individual protons and neutrons bound together and are very difficult to overcome.
"Go down to the smallest scales -- 10^-16 meters, or a million times smaller than an atom -- and the strong nuclear force can overcome all the others. Take the helium nucleus, for example, two protons and two neutrons, bound together in a stable configuration. Even the electromagnetic repulsion between the two protons isn't enough to overcome the glue-like strong force holding the nucleus together. " - Forbes.
What are some of the world's most powerful disasters?
Nature sustains us but it can also turn against us too.
Of all the possible ways nature can unleash its fury, the most common kinds of natural disasters include, but are not limited to:
- Tornadoes and severe storms
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
Any single one of these events can be completely devastating to local communities and nations. In the worst-case scenarios, these events can cause enormous casualty rates and even render entire regions, cities, towns, and villages uninhabitable.
What are some examples of the power of nature?
So, without further ado, here are a selection of videos that highlight the destructive and violent side of nature. Trust us when we say this list is far from exhaustive and is in no particular order.
1. This video shows just how beautiful the power of nature can be
This amazing composite timelapse video shows just how amazing the power of nature is. Including clips of the Milky Way, storm-chasing "Supercells", rainbow and fog time-lapses, it truly is humbling to watch.
According to the creator Michael Shainblum, all of the footage was captured in various locations across the United States. The storm chasing footage was from Texas and Oklahoma with other footage from Monument Valley Utah and California.
The best part of time-lapse footage like this is that you gain a real appreciation for the complexity, almost chaotic nature of, well, nature! Beautiful and terrifying in equal measures.
2. Here is some more time-lapse footage of the power of nature
Here is yet another amazing compilation of time-lapse footage for your delectation. This one has a bit more variety including storms, hurricanes, tornados, lightning storms and a myriad of other visual evidence of nature's fury.
For all the power that mankind can muster, we truly are at the mercy of the forces of nature. Simply incredible to watch.
The lightning footage is particularly startling. We are glad there are some brave souls risking their lives to capture this, so we can watch from the safety of our own homes.
3. Here is a compilation of some natural disasters in action
The LUMI PROJECT helpfully created this compilation video of some of the world's natural disasters. Including footage from volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, stormy seas, and other natural disaster events, this video really does reveal the raw power of nature.
Footage like this really does go on to show how pathetic even our mightest engineering feats are against the planet's natural forces. When nature gets angry, you'd better get out of the way!
4. Nature can be brutal
Let's turn to the animal kingdom now with this amazing compilation of footage. Including clips of predators and prey from around the world, this video shows us just how brutal the natural world can be.
In particular scenes, we are "treated" to various footage of animal combat. It includes a tiger fighting a bear, rhinos attacked cars, ants killing anything they can find and, polar bears going toe-to-toe.
It really does show that the natural world is not a peaceful place. No wonder human beings have violent tendencies.
We are a product of nature after all.
5. When mud attacks!
In this incredible piece of footage, we get to witness the power of something most of us take for granted -- mud! Taken in Ayacucho, Peru, it shows us that something as apparently innocuous as mud can be powerful enough when lubricated, to engulf and move an entire coach!
Natural events like this mudslide/landslide are actually pretty common during the rainy season of the region. This tends to run between December and March, and travelers through the region are urged to take great care when traversing the area.
Obviously, this tour operator either ignored the warnings or was particularly unlucky on this particular day. Absolutely incredible.
We do hope no one was hurt.
6. Check out these sinkholes!
Top Fives have compiled an amazing set of footage of sinkholes from around the world. It just goes to show that all of man's ingenuity can be, literally, undermined by the forces of nature.
Sinkholes often form when heavy-weights, like a road, are built on the soft underlying soil. They can also form when the land surface changes over time.
For example, natural erosion of bedrock, especially when it consists of limestone, salt deposits or carbonate rock, can cause catastrophic failure of the support under a piece of infrastructure. This can lead to the forming of some pretty impressive sinkholes.
As you can see in the video, some of them are pretty large!
7. Here are some more natural disasters caught on tape
And finally, here is another compilation video that shows us just how powerful nature can be. It includes footage of some of the world's worst natural disasters in recent years.
The video includes footage from:
- 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami
- 2004 Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami
- 2011 Joplin Tornado
- Hurricane Sandy
- Slave Lake Wildfires
- Hurricane Katrina
- 2011 Christchurch Earthquake
- Armero Tragedy
- 2013 Southern Alberta Floods
- 1992 Hurricane Andrew
- 1987 Edmonton Tornado
- Tornado Outbreak of December 23-25, 2015
- 2015 Washington Wildfires
- Mount St. Helens eruption
- 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake
Amazing to witness from a safe distance. Nature sure can be a cruel mistress when she wants to be.