It's looking like Huawei is pushing forward with its attempt to move away from Google's Android operating system (OS), and creating one themselves.
Since May this year, when the U.S. Government placed a ban on Huawei from using any American software or hardware companies for its devices, the Chinese company has been looking at creating its own OS, named HongMeng.
And it looks like this is may well come to fruition before the end of 2019, according to Chinese state-run media site, Global Times.
Huawei and Hong Meng
A source told the Global Times that Huawei is aiming to release a 2,000 Yuan (the equivalent of $290) HongMeng-run phone in the fourth quarter, alongside the Huawei Mate30 series, also due in the Fall.
This means that HongMeng will be running on the company's lower-tiered phones, while Google's Android will continue to power its higher flagship devices such as the Mate and the Pro series.
It's not yet been disclosed whether HongMeng will end up running on all of its devices in the future, but it's certainly part of its long-term strategy. If matters don't easily or quickly clear up with the U.S., the company has to prepare for all outcomes.
HongMeng is being built to work across its Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices - such as smart TVs - and not simply smartphones.
The new OS has to incorporate an app system to rival Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store - something that's still being worked on by Huawei.
Huawei's CEO and founder, Ren Zhengfei, said last month that HongMeng is likely to be faster than Android.
We'll have to wait and see what Huawei has to say about their upcoming OS. Perhaps more news will be released on August 9, when Huawei's Developer's Conference takes place in Dongguan, China.