This flood protection barrier reaches new heights
Last year saw climate events wreak havoc in Europe, with parts of Belgium and Germany pummelled by deadly floods.
In what could be called a narrow escape, the Austrian city of Kufstein, which was hit by severe storms, erected structures called Boxwall barriers, made by NOAQ Flood Protection AB, a Swedish company developing and selling flood protection barriers on the global market. They converted a street into a canal, by placing self-anchoring Boxwall barriers on either side. This led the water past the buildings, protecting them, and down to the river.
Subscribe today for full access to all features and product updates.
- Unlimited access to IE+ with exclusive features, interviews and analysis
- Commenting feature with our high-quality engineering community
- Audio articles, exclusively for premium users
- A weekly premium newsletter that goes beyond the headlines
- Ad-free experience
- Future benefits still to come