A brief guide to looking for aliens
Astrophysicist Jason Wright, who directs the Penn State Extraterrestrial Intelligence Center, did not seem incredibly happy with a question I asked him toward the end of our recent interview.
“No, no. We haven’t found any aliens of course,” he answered.
But would they know evidence of aliens if they came across it?
"That's [a question] we wrestle with a lot," he says.
Searching for life beyond Earth is harder than it sounds
When researchers look for life close by — like in our Solar System — they can search for direct evidence of living things.
Subscribe today for full access to all features and product updates.
- Unlimited access to IE+ with exclusive features, interviews and analysis
- Commenting feature with our high-quality engineering community
- Audio articles, exclusively for premium users
- A weekly premium newsletter that goes beyond the headlines
- Ad-free experience
- Future benefits still to come