Ferrari works toward carbon neutrality but remains silent about electric engines
- Ferrari is committed to releasing an electric-powered model between 2023 to 2026.
- The carmaker aims to manufacture 60 percent of its total models of hybrid and fully electric-powered cars by 2026.
- The company has already started manufacturing for the electric market with four hybrid models.
Italian luxury sports carmaker Ferrari has been the dream of car enthusiasts for the last 75 years with its red sports car image.
The carmaker is committing to releasing 15 new models between 2023 to 2026, and only one of them to be fully electric. So far, the Italian carmaker has remained true to its roots, manufacturing sports cars powered by internal combustion engines.
At the 2018 Detroit Auto Show, Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne announced that Ferrari would make a battery-powered supercar to challenge Tesla.
That bold statement did not stop a Tesla Model 3 Performance from destroying a Ferrari 458 in a drag race.
But the company has already started manufacturing for the electric market with four hybrid models, its first hybrid car, SF90 Stradale, in 2019, then SF90 Spider, 296 GTB, and 296 GTS.
Then there were rumors about Ferrari, claiming that the company filed a patent for its electric vehicle back in 2020.
Ferrari CEO Benedetto Vigna said, during the company’s second-quarter earnings call, that the company is in a good position to make the transition. He added, “We will unveil our first full-electric model in 2025, a true Ferrari that will enrich our product range. It will contain several unique features, and it will be a sports car, as every Ferrari that offers a true Ferrari driving experience.”
Vigna previously told the Wall Street Journal that there would be electric Ferraris. He explained that Ferrari looks at three dimensions; design, performance, and emotion, thus making Ferrari have a unique design. The company is working on aerodynamics and the efficiency of the electric engine.
But no worries, engine sound lovers, Vigna told WSJ that there are ways to extract a unique sound from electric engines without using electronics, and the company is working on the subject.
Ferrari to keep its carbon neutrality promise
The company aims to manufacture 40 percent of its total models to be internal combustion engine powered and make the remaining 60 percent of hybrid and fully electric-powered cars by 2026.
According to its carbon neutrality goal, Ferrari also aims to reduce its internal combustion engine-powered cars to make up 20 percent of its total production, with hybrid and electric vehicles sharing the remaining equally with a 40 percent share by 2030.
Can AI rescue lab rats and guinea pigs? Science’s long-debated ethical question may finally have some answers.