Nikola Motors Joins the Electric Pickup Truck Ranks with Its 600-Mile Range Vehicle
The Badger's specs
Nikola has plans to offer the Badger as two options: either a purely battery-electric vehicle, or as an electric/fuel-cell hybrid. As per the company, its hybrid model will be able to sustain a 965-kilometer (600-mile) range, whereas the battery option will have a maximum range of 482 kilometers (300 miles).
The pickup will manage to tow 3,628 kg (8,000 lbs) and accelerate from 0 to 96.5 kph (60 mph) in approximately 2.9 seconds.
Nikola's CEO and founder, Trevor Milton, said in a statement "Nikola has billions worth of technology in our semi-truck program, so why not build it into a pickup truck?"
He continued "I have been working on this pickup program for years and believe the market is now ready for something that can handle a full day’s worth of work without running out of energy."
The biggest issue currently for the Badger is the lack of hydrogen filling stations. California has the most at the moment, but even there they're few and far between. Compared with battery charging stations, there still aren't many hydrogen ones available in the U.S.
To counter this problem Nikola plans to use its own funds to install 700 hydrogen stations across the country. It already has its first locations, however, will wait until later in this quarter to announce exactly where these are.
Nikola Motors has shared all the future pickup truck's specs and will wait until the upcoming Nikola World 2020 event in September to fully share the details of the Badger. Limited reservations will also be accepted from then on.
The company listed the following specs for the Nikola Badger:
- 600 miles on blended FCEV/BEV
- 300 miles on BEV alone
- Operates on blended FCEV/BEV or BEV only by the touch of a button
- 906HP peak
- 455HP continuous
- 980 ft. lbs. of torque
- 160kWh, flooded module — lithium-ion battery
- 120kW fuel cell
- Advanced Supercapacitor Launch Assist that blends with lithium-ion and fuel-cell
- -20F operating environments without major performance or SOC losses
- The towing capacity of over 8,000 pounds
- Operating targets without motor stalls up to 50% grade
- 15kW power export outlet
- Compatible with industry-standard charging for BEV mode
- Five seats
- Truck dimensions: 5,900mm long x 1,850mm tall x 2,160mm wide and a 1,560mm bed width